Arc consistency and forward checking

Disclaimer: Dieser Thread wurde aus dem alten Forum importiert. Daher werden eventuell nicht alle Formatierungen richtig angezeigt. Der ursprüngliche Thread beginnt im zweiten Post dieses Threads.

Arc consistency and forward checking
Hi,

I am a little bit confused from the examples in the lecture regarding forward checking and arc consistency.

Example 10.4.1 (forward checking):

• In this example in order to satisfy the constraint we only look for at least one variable that satisfies the constraint (in V3 that is the number 3).
  • However we see that the number 3 from V3 does not satisfy the constraint with the number 3 in V2.
  • So we can say that only at least one variable should satisfy the constrain.

Example 10.4.11 (arc consistency):

• Here the constraints are satisfied, if every number from each variable satisfies the constraints.

My question:
-Why in the first example we look for at least one number (in a variable) and in the second example we look for every single number (in a variable) that satisfies the constraint?

I know that those are two different algorithms, however i am confused about the fact, that we try to solve the “same problems” with different meaning of the constraints…