Tutorial and homework related notices thread, 2019/20

Disclaimer: Dieser Thread wurde aus dem alten Forum importiert. Daher werden eventuell nicht alle Formatierungen richtig angezeigt. Der ursprüngliche Thread beginnt im zweiten Post dieses Threads.

Tutorial and homework related notices thread, 2019/20
Dear AI students,

I just published the homeworks on StudOn. The deadline for submission is Sunday, November 3rd, at 23:59.

Max Rapp will take over my tutorial (Thursday, 16:15 - 17:45) on October 31st, since I’ll be out of town for a project review.

Cheers,
Katja

Update: as I will be giving the lecture on Thursday, Frederik will take over Katja’s Tutorial.

Dear AI students,

I am just publishing the homeworks on StudOn. The deadline for submission is Sunday, November 10th, at 23:59. Sorry about the delay - we could discuss moving the deadline by a day, so you have a little more time.

Cheers,
Katja

Dear AI students,

I just published the third homework on StudOn. The deadline for submission is Sunday, November 17th, at 23:59.

Cheers,
Katja

Update to the third homework
Dear students,

I just added a short paragraph to the statement of the second problem in Homework 3. We ask that you print out the values of the nodes as you expand/visit them. It should not make your work much harder. On the other hand, it will make grading, much, much easier. We will not take any points if you do not do it. But consider this: your tutors will grade faster and be happier :wink:

Code comments required starting with the third homework (Search)
Dear AI students,

Starting with the third problem set on Search, we will start deducting up to 30% of the points for insufficiently commented or unclear code. You do not need to write a lot, but it should be enough to convince your tutor that you understand what the code does. The comments make it easier for tutors to understand what your code does. This means they also make it easier for tutors to give points. A side effect is that it is also easier for tutors to see that you did not simply copy your homework.

Note that Max has already required that in his tutorial from the beginning, and might deduct points even for the second homework (and has done so for the first).

Katja

Dear AI students,

I just published the fourth homework on StudOn. The deadline for submission is Sunday, November 24th, at 23:59.

Cheers,
Katja

Dear AI students,

I just published the fourth homework on StudOn. The deadline for submission is Sunday, December 1st, at 23:59.

This homework is a little shorter, so that you have time to start preparing your Kalah agents. The main part of the homework next week will be Kalah - all the information you need to start working on it is on the GitHub repository (https://github.com/KWARC/Kalah-Framework, also linked in the homework). The submission date for Kalah will most likely be December 11th (at 23:59).

Cheers,
Katja

No tutorials in the first week of December
Dear AI students,

There will be no tutorials next week. This is to give you time to work on your Kalah agents and the tutors time to catch up on grading. If you have any questions regarding the homeworks, ask them in the forum, so that everyone can benefit.

I will publish the Kalah homework “officially” tomorrow morning, with the deadline December 10th.

Cheers,
Katja

Dear AI students,

I just published the 6th homework. Note that it is due on Tuesday December 10th, at 23:59. The following week (Tuesday, during lecture) we will ask a few of the top teams to say a few words about what they did.

Again, please ask questions in the forum - especially for Kalah.

Good luck!
Katja

Assignment 5: predicate availablecolors
Note that the name of the predicate [m]availablecolors[/m] is a little misleading, since it gives you the colours you can’t use.

Assignment 5 notebook:
It looks like I failed to make a notebook that only I can edit, meaning that there are a few edited copies running around.

Here is the original code in a text file - you can use it to make a fresh notebook for yourself:
https://kwarc.info/teaching/AI/resources/hw5-setup.txt

Dear AI students,

I just published the 7th homework. Assignment 5 will not be graded.

Katja

Kalah submission
In case it was not obvious :slight_smile:

It is sufficient for one person from the group that worked together to submit the Kalah agent on StudOn. The submission should contain the names of everybody in the group in an easy to find place.

Dear AI students,

I just published assignment 8, on kwarc.info, StudOn and on the forum, here:
https://fsi.cs.fau.de/forum/thread/18034-Assignments-thread-duplicate-of-those-on-kwarc-in

Problem 8.2 asks you to prove that the problem of transforming a given formula into disjunctive normal form is NP hard. If you haven’t seen a proof of NP-hardness yet, ask questions in your tutorial. For the assignment, a good sketch of a proof will suffice.

For assignment 6, we will not grade the constraint satisfaction problem.

Cheers,
Katja

Dear AI students,

we just realised that there’s a problem with Problem 8.2, and we were not able to find a way to fix it. Not just the problem as it is stated now, but also all the reasonable looking variants we could come up with, result in a solution that involves much more complexity theory that is suitable for this course.

The problem will get deleted from the homework and the total number of points for assignment 8 will be 70.

Katja

Assignment 9
Dear AI students,

I just published the 9th assignment. The deadline is January 12th.

Happy holidays to everyone!
Katja

Tutorials next week
Dear AI students,

Max Rapp will be absent until January 19th. It looks like we failed to communicate that we were just going to ask you to attend one of the other tutorials instead. I’m sorry that this glitch in communication happened, especially since some of you ended up waiting for the tutorial today.

For next week, I would like to ask the students in Max Rapp’s tutorial and in my tutorial (I will also be absent) to go to one of the other three tutorials.

Dear AI students,

as you might have noticed, the 11th assignment was published yesterday.