Java in further exercises

Disclaimer: Dieser Thread wurde aus dem alten Forum importiert. Daher werden eventuell nicht alle Formatierungen richtig angezeigt. Der ursprüngliche Thread beginnt im zweiten Post dieses Threads.

Java in further exercises
Dear tutors,

I am struggling with the fact that we shall implement the Kalah program in Java. Do any further exercises require the use of Java as a programming language?

Thank you and kind regards!

Probably not - in general we want you to learn prolog here (actually: to think logically, for which prolog is a good tool), so that’s what we will prefer. You do not want to implement a more advanced kalah-solving algorithm in prolog though, and java is the one language that we can rather reliably use in the knowledge that the vast majority of students will know it.

I have understanding for this and I agree, this is the best solution.

I will then write my own Kalah using Python (with functionalities as required by the Kalah task and probably some modes where the computer plays against itself or against a player). This excludes me from the bonus points, but I will still have the same learning effect for the exam.

If you would be willing to grade a Python program though, I would be double happy :slight_smile:

The latter you’ll have to ask your tutor for - but the sad thing is that this precludes you from taking part in the tournament, since we use the java-framework for that.

But I very much assume that if you know python well enough to write a Kalah-AI, the effort of learning java sufficiently to translate your program is probably minimal, assuming you’ve ever worked with an object oriented language - I’d give it a try if I were you :wink:
Or even better, screw java and learn to do it in scala, which is java done properly :wink: (not coincidentally, the framework is actually written in scala)

Da muss ich voll und ganz zustimmen. Mit scala hat man die Lesbarkeit von Perl, die Binärkompatibilität von C++, die Performance von Python, den Overhead von Java, die Buildsysteme von C und die community von Rust, alles in einer Sprache.

4 „Gefällt mir“